Friday, August 31, 2007

Inspired by Profgirrrrl's Blog

So Profgirrrrl got an awesome email from a student and as such wrote on awesome response. I (both in my syllabus and in multiple class announcement) have instructed students in my Monday/Wednesday section of Introduction to Insert-My-True-Field-Here that they cannot attend my Tuesday/Thursday section and vice versa. Well, despite the fact that my syllabus also states that you should email me (not call me), I received a phone call that went like this:

Me (picking up the phone): Dr. Awesome

Student: Um, hello?

Me: Hello

Student: Um, I know you said that we weren't supposed to go to another section, but, like, I had to drop a class, then I had to add a class, my advisor said that I couldn't add that class cause its a bad idea for me, so then I was registering for this other class......

[this continued for a few minutes, I believe the student was trying to explain why the rules (i.e., you can only attend your section) should not apply to him/her because of the aforementioned, yet incomprehensibly explained series of circumstances. This monologue eventually ended with..]

Student: ... so can I attend your Thursday section of the class.

What I wished I said: No.

What I actually said: Just this once....

Damn, I hate being a pushover.

I am...

My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)