Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Rateyourstudents, you are so my hero!

So, I don't give out my notes for a variety of reasons (both practical and pedagogical). Also, been debating about going pedagogically naked (without 'powerpoint'). [Before I go on a rant about how this is easy for me (see, I didn't spend a decade in college for nothing--I did it (among other reasons) so that I could talk intelligibly about this particular course of study without consulting a slide show), a recent poster to RYS, does it here, with a fierceness I can barely muster

Student reaction: Gasp, the horror!

My mockery to student reaction: How can students learn without an active powerpoint slide show behind them? How can they only write down less than 15 words every 5 minutes without something telling them what 15 words? How can I expect them to listen and actually think about what I am saying? Find the main idea and write it down in their own words?

I hate myself just thinking about this idea? Going back and forth on what to do? Maybe I'll go rogue and be powerpoint-less for a few weeks, maybe more. Who knows?

I am...

My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)